League Day 16; HOPE NJOKU vs HUSSANI ABDULRAHIM


LIVE: HOPE NJOKU vs HUSSANI ABDULRAHIM

NOTE;
1) The judges decision takes 70% of the judgement while well wishes and lovers of poetry votes takes 30%.

2) Upon no circumstance must any of the above mentioned poets vote.

3) The contestants are urged to invite friends to Vote for them using the comment section of this post. No rule exempts you from canvassing for votes.

5) Voting lasts for 18 hours from commencement of Duel.

6) Vote using I VOTE POEM 1 or I VOTE POEM 2

7) Results would be uploaded briefly after the closure of votes.

Good luck to the wordlords.. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!


THEME: SOJOURN


HOPE NJOKU

TITLE:Our Journey

We were born a freeman to live like termites in clay houses with simple eyes:
Hunting antelops with spears, drinking wine to stupor 
And attending to the fleshy orifices in between our wives legs by midnight
Until the day pale strangers with sun-redden faces 
Came to plunder our cowries, clay calabashes, tradition and people.

In a land faraway we toiled like bulls, making straws and using straws to build houses
Houses we never lived in: Our quater was the structure besides stables. 
Grapevine we planted but drank vinegar. And our reward was cockroach in beans.

When one day we were let loose, we wandered in the vast wilderness of the sub sahara
Craving the bread and wine of our sod. And our calabash and tradition and clay houses.
Our wives are pregnant, our children are bony. We have heard the bell clangs of death.
On this rough dusty terrain we will die if we're unable to find our path.

Who will give us back our lost lives? Who will save us from this journey to death?
For that one shall our king be.


HUSSANI ABDULRAHIM

TITLE; I AM A PILGRIM

Call me what you may, 
But I'm a fluttering bird, 
And the world-- a wet bough, 
To nest the dust and sweat of my limbs. 

I'm a sunburnt pilgrim, 
Touring this meccan land of filth, 
Where nothing gives, 
Yet everything gives. 

A weary passer-by I am, 
Only stopping to clothe taste and hunger, 
To feel heaven course through my veins, 
For there lies the quest of this straying body in ruins. 

I'm weary and disillusioned, strained and cracked; 
My blackness the sun has beautified, 
The caressing wind has numbed my bones, 
On the screen of a turbulent sea I'm debris afloat. 

As I traverse this mute world, 
I ask not for shekels nor gold, 
I ask not for laurels nor peacock feathers; 
All I ask is to be treated fair.

6 comments:

Today's Visitors.