League Day 31 & 32: BRENDA MARTHA vs EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA


This duel is dedicated to all Xenophobias' victims in Africa. We, over here feel your pains, do find these words here as soothing balms to your broken souls.

NOTE;
1) The judges decision takes 70% of the judgement while well wishes and lovers of poetry votes takes 30%.

2) Upon no circumstance must any of the above mentioned poets vote.

3) The contestants are urged to invite friends to Vote for them using the comment section of this post. No rule exempts you from canvassing for votes.

5) Voting lasts for 18 hours from commencement of Duel.

6) Vote using I VOTE POEM 1 or I VOTE POEM 2

7) Results would be uploaded briefly after the closure of votes.

Good luck to the wordlords.. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!


THEME: XENOPHOBIA

BRENDA MARTHA

TITLE: XENOPHOBIA

Mummy said I'd become a pilot, 
Fly in the sky and visit worlds. 
Papa wanted me to be a doctor, 
Discover cures for all diseases. 
Sometimes the pressure was much, 
And I wanted to curl up and hide. 
I wanted to escape this, run away
To another country, or tribe maybe. 
I've spent countless nights planning, 
Years of saving up every dime I get. 
I wonder at my hesitation now, 
For this moment I've been planning,
Dreaming of, yearning to see it. 
The time's come for me to go
Yet somehow I'm reluctant. 
And I realise that it's fear gripping me. 
Fear of where I'm going, a foreign land. 
Fear of the reception I might get. 
I've seen the headlines everywhere, 
Of foreigners being evicted,
Of tribal clashes and decimation. 
Foreigners frowned upon at every stop, 
Like a contagious disease on the loose. 
Oh! Should this happen now? 
It's xenophobia creeping in, 
Grounding my life here. 
Making it impossible to run, 
From those demons that haunt me. 
A fear of the unknown, 
For there's comfort in familiarity 
And I abandon that childhood dream 
Of running away into a world unknown
 
EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA.

TITLE; XENOPHOBIA

Like a piece of thrash
worthlessly you treat
me
with an heart of hate
and disgust you love
me disdainfully

i am like a thorn in
your flesh, like a bug
that bugs your peace
you never treat me
like am human, no
to you i am less than
that, maybe even lower
than the sole of your
foot.

O dear brethren, why
do you hate on me this
much, with an heart of
steel against my person

in peace to your country
i came, in search of pastures
green, and for that you're
disgusted of my very presence
O but see, i am of no harm
to your ego, no, i pose no
threat to your country

why then do you treat
me like an invader from
a sworn enemy, why do
you treat me like an
adversary?

i am a fellow of no mean
state, i come most noblely
O treat me humanely,
see me for who i am
as a human just like you're.

Copyright©
EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA

3 comments:

Today's Visitors.