League Day 34: MOHAMMED SHAMSUDEEN vs OYEKUNLE IFEOLUWA

WHEN ONE'S PRIDE IS BROKEN, ONE'S STRENGTH IS LOST. SPEAK OUT IN CASES OF MOLESTATION OR VIOLENCE... SPEAK!

NOTE;
1) The judges decision takes 70% of the judgement while well wishes and lovers of poetry votes takes 30%.

2) Upon no circumstance must any of the above mentioned poets vote.

3) The contestants are urged to invite friends to Vote for them using the comment section of this post. No rule exempts you from canvassing for votes.

5) Voting lasts for 18 hours from commencement of Duel.

6) Vote using I VOTE POEM 1 or I VOTE POEM 2

7) Results would be uploaded briefly after the closure of votes.

Good luck to the wordlords.. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!


THEME: STOLEN PRIDE

MOHAMMED SHAMSU-DEEN

TITLE:Improper Fractions

A girl is dragged into sea of sorrow
Without time enough to secure her gills
Forcing her feeble gums to grind
The hardened grains of glum glory;
This girl is a cat like a cart
Sagged by loads of baby marriage,
Her life scattered in ruins.

See burdens’ beautiful hands
Writing wrinkles in infant faces
With babies wresting from these babies:
Asana receives dowry on her mother's lap.
Yam cut the navel of Funke as bride price
And sent her away at age of suckle
A girl who stop primary school
Is made to carry big numerator
And stunted to a dwarf denominator
How can she divide into child and adult?

Legal rape is in long division
That comes at each subtraction
Forming wells of sour memories
Gnawing the limbs of prosperity
Peeling pride from panties below puberty
As Dojia breaks a bud
And swims in her blood.

When they wear wooden googles
To blind their sight from foresight
They solve partial fractions
Entrusting our girls to indivisible numbers
Which turn us in mixed factions
So our marks are often losses
Counted in recurring decimals
Because a girl is a country. 


OYEKUNLE IFEOLUWA

TITLE; STOLEN PRIDE
(THE STORM THAT QUENCHED MY BURNING GOALS)

I was a girl with burning goals
that fire could not quench.
Until my parents soiled my hope
and brought my goals to rest.
I was married off at age nine
to a bald-headed man.
Mother betrayed my fresh hot tears
for palm wine in gold kegs.

They pierced my soul without conscience
and married me away.
I was still naive without breasts
to feed a child a child a day.
I was a kid and not a bride
to be robbed of her pride.
This song is rich with bitter tunes;
A dirge under the moon. 

Who do I tell this bitter tale
of being abused by fate?
My parents were the devil used
to steal my pride away.
This song has lost its melody
for I’m a hopeless bride.
This song is like an eulogy
that dries my tears at night. 

© iPod
OYEKUNLE IFEOLUWA PETER

58 comments:

  1. I vote poem 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to all who voted. Voting has closed.

    ReplyDelete

Today's Visitors.