League Day 33: ONI TOMIWA vs JOSIAH AKPAN

WHEN ONE'S PRIDE IS BROKEN, ONE'S STRENGTH IS LOST. SPEAK OUT IN CASES OF MOLESTATION OR VIOLENCE... SPEAK!

NOTE;
1) The judges decision takes 70% of the judgement while well wishes and lovers of poetry votes takes 30%.

2) Upon no circumstance must any of the above mentioned poets vote.

3) The contestants are urged to invite friends to Vote for them using the comment section of this post. No rule exempts you from canvassing for votes.

5) Voting lasts for 18 hours from commencement of Duel.

6) Vote using I VOTE POEM 1 or I VOTE POEM 2

7) Results would be uploaded briefly after the closure of votes.

Good luck to the wordlords.. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!


THEME: STOLEN PRIDE

ONI TOMIWA

TITLE: FAREWELL

I remember, 
Those nights under the wholesome moon
As we count our dreams
On our fingertips.
You built an empire for yourself
In our world of imagination
And I, your brother
Was the chandelier giving direction
To the path of our desires.

My sister,
I am pained, my legs are chained
To the shackles of backward culture
I could have made myself a warrior
Wiping out the feet of those effeminate men
Who came with baskets of colanut
And gourds of palm wine
For your tender hands 
In unholy matrimony.

I heard your cry
That fearful night of painful circumcision.
They laughed in the compound
While you groan in pain.

Do not lose your dreams
To this wanderer
In the wilds of delusion.
I just wish father knew
The sweetness of your thoughts
And the bitterness 
Of an unripe bride price.

Farewell,
Be strong
And find yourself
Amidst the shards of broken dreams.

JOSIAH AKPAN

TITLE; STOLEN PRIDE

Gourged as though with fetish beats,
Beaten into submission.
What we valued, we took for less;
& what was less, we valued.
They brought their trucks to get the trunks
of garbage we sought to dispose.
We thought them stupid to come for our crumbs
& swallowed the laughter with palmwine.
Garbage in, garbage out
was the code we thought it would run.
But who looks for garbage as the product of exquisite pearls?

Is this not the palm the farmers rejected?
How does it sit as supreme leader in Malaysia?

2 comments:

Today's Visitors.