League Day 10:ONI TOMIWA OLAREWANJU vs EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA


LIVE: ONI TOMIWA OLAREWANJU vs EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA

NOTE;
1) The judges decision takes 70% of the judgement while well wishes and lovers of poetry votes takes 30%.

2) Upon no circumstance must any of the above mentioned poets vote.

3) The contestants are urged to invite friends to Vote for them using the comment section of this post. No rule exempts you from canvassing for votes.

5) Voting lasts for 18 hours from commencement of Duel.

6) Vote using I VOTE POEM 1 or I VOTE POEM 2

7) Results would be uploaded briefly after the closure of votes.

Good luck to the wordlords.. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

THEME: RACISM


ONI TOMIWA OLAREWANJU

Title: LETTER TO A RACIST

Dear racist,
        How do you want your coffee,
Grossly black or truly white?
Are you painted with many hues
Or do you bear a cracked face with glued feelings?

Men are born, black first, brown next, white last.
Mother earth is black.
Black is the colour that houses mystics of the universe-
You do not cast spells in white light.

But black is not darkness,
neither white; the colour of God.
White is not that sight
Giving room to bleached memories
And fingers of colourless hopes
For those who see and the blind.

But if evil besiege black
Why do men envelope their skins
In rounds of dreams and moans
When nightfall clothe us?
Or why must men eat of the soil, truly black?

Are you fastly stung with delusion
Seeing not the beauty of all colours?
For if all colours are mixed
Black comes forth on kingly throne.

White and black are not colours
With which we take samples 
Of the good and the bad.
White is sanity, black, strength.

Throw away this veil and paint your face
With black shades
For nothing beats the smile
Of a black man.

Yours so black,
Oni Oluwatomiwa Olanrewaju


EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA

Title: DEAR RACIST

I am black, i am African
you're white, you're european
we share not a common
skin colour
so you treat me like a piece
of trash
at every turn, bitter and cruel
you're towards me, because
we're of not a common race

I am black, and you white
for that you detest my very
presence ... like a plague
your disdain for the colour
of my skin poses a great
threat to my existence
O'how much you hate me
like 'the devil' is written
all over me

I irritate you-yes, i know i do
the very aroma of my breath
appalls your senses.
for the colour of my skin, you
call me primitive ... you refer
to me as barbaric, and savagely

You say i am a beacon of irrationality:
bereft of reason, you say i am
but full of blank and nothingness
for this dark complexion i am
you say no virtue of me, only
blunder and propaganda

You behold me a retarded race
you've titled me an error of creation
alas i had to hid myself in the
shadows of the globe, that i may
evade the untold cruelty of your
humanity
even in my father's land, like a
rock upon a lamb you come to
break my life apart

Oh! See how you've divided my
life amongst your countrymen
and retarded my dignity of
personhood
i am black, and you white
so you treat me like a peasant
class citizen of the earth
todsing and poking me helter
skelter with utmost cruelty
O'dear racist, when shall you
see for me, as a human being
just like you're?

©EMMANUEL KARIBI OBUALA
November 30th, 2017
All rights reserved


ENJOY!

6 comments:

  1. I vote poem 1, it is more creative and laced with some good imagery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poem 2. This poem is truth. Maybe not as much today as before. Even in the States today there are more black people in jail and more black people shot by police. Keep speaking out. Let people know how you feel. Excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to all who voted. Voting has closed.

    ReplyDelete

Today's Visitors.