League Day 15; BRENDA MARTHA vs KOLADE OLAWALE

I'm currently in a dilemma either to leave home or not.Surely, if I leave today, sooner than later would I be back in my Father's land, cause there's no place like home, but still I want to leave!

Two poets this moment would be convincing me to either leave this land and seek for greener pastures in a foreign place or I stay.

Who wins my heart and who doesn't?... Enjoy this duel!

NOTE;
1) The judges decision takes 70% of the judgement while well wishes and lovers of poetry votes takes 30%.

2) Upon no circumstance must any of the above mentioned poets vote.

3) The contestants are urged to invite friends to Vote for them using the comment section of this post. No rule exempts you from canvassing for votes.

5) Voting lasts for 18 hours from commencement of Duel.

6) Vote using I VOTE POEM 1 or I VOTE POEM 2

7) Results would be uploaded briefly after the closure of votes.

Good luck to the wordlords.. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!


THEME: SOJOURN



BRENDA MARTHA

TITLE: SOJOURN 

The fiery ball of the sun shone down on us, 
Scorching everything on its way, 
The land has turned hard and everything brown 
Five in years with no drop of rain 
Animals and humans suffering from the drought 

War broke out,out went the men to fight 
Women and children cowering in their homes 
But oh! They lost,and victors came revenging 
Torching the grass thatched houses
Blazing brightly in the night as wails rent the air

Out to the south we went, miles from home 
With no definite destination,in the jungles
Looking for better place to stay, 
A place to sojourn until home is home again



KOLADE OLAWALE

TITLE: I was here

Tell that household that I was there,
broke three window glasses,
empty two water containers into the earth of the floor
and ate part of their remnant.
tell mother lion I was at her den,
played with her cub like a toy
and help barb her hair cause it looks bushy.

tell saint charles grade school I came,
I came just as a village boy,
I came like a ghost walking on the field,
I came like an invisible student sitting in the air.

tell Mary I was there
I was there in her heart
to console her, to cuddle her
and share my love with her.

tell my lonely life I was there
breathing in oxygen and breathing out carbon dioxide,
eating rice for breakfast, garri for lunch
and Amala for dinner.
when my heart sings solo and dance by itself.
when my heart became so rigid
till I even lose Mary to a passerby.

tell life I'm still here
waiting for what it will make of me,
waiting for the colour it will paint me
and where it will take me
cause I'm not staying till eternity,
I'm just here for a while.

18 comments:

  1. It seems the poets have deviated from the theme, may be it's because there is no additional information attached to the theme in braket. The theme is just "Sojourn" and I just consulted a dictionary its meaning and the answer I got was "to stay somewhere temporarily". And from the first paragraph of the organisers' statement one may expect the poems to speak on leaving Africa to the West or East by Africans. But I don't know whether the poets are informed of the additional information privately.
    So I will just read the poems and offer my vote to a poet who did justice to the theme, just "Sojourn", not on leaving Africa.




    I just vote for poem 1.

    Thanks.
    NY Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. fatihu ibraheem I vote poem 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to all who voted. Voting has closed.

    ReplyDelete

Today's Visitors.