DAYS BEFORE 10.


Those days were much filled with delight and fun.
When I was still tiny and naive...

There were sets of friends for different purposes.
A set for moulding pots, mortars and pestles...
Days couldn't have being better without them.

Another were well versed in the game of
Bread and butter, "our grandmother likes to sew skirt", "Suwe", "I call on"
and "who stole the meat from the cooking pot... "
The ten ten game was not much fun for me so I rarely played it.
How much I miss them- Ayo, Blessing, Funmi...

The police and thief game though for boys we played too.
"Everything goes", including teacher and pupils.
I was usually the teacher, how I enjoyed failing my "students".

Before 10.
Those days when we competed in building sand castles,
And when disputes came up, we knew who to run to.
Aunty Helen,  she was usually the peace maker -
The judge and referee.

Those were days indelible
And some other days I long for
To share again with my co-actors on that stage of childhood,
Stories of our "BEFORE TEENDOM ADVENTURES".

Thanks to mum and dad for not making me suffocate indoor.
Though it was only on weekends,
Eight days of pure leisure in a month for more than five years
Have made my childhood memories worth writing about.

Every child deserves to "breathe".
Do not make your child just watch when their peers tell a tale of childhood filled with wholesome delight and adventures.
Say "NO" to over-protection of children.

AKINBOLA (K)HADIJAT
©2018

No comments

Today's Visitors.