REPLY TO MY DAUGHTER; A FROWN AT YOUR NEW AMBITION.


NOTE: This is a reply to Poet (K)hadijat's poem - LETTER TO MAAMI; MY NEW AMBITION. Click HERE to read her poem.

Orekelewa mí - Àdunní...
My child brighter than the sun's ray.
Your smiles are my doses of happiness,
Your beauty my pride and joy.
I reply your letter with pains in my heart,
My heart bleeds at the sight of your plights.

I see the huge dreams of you youngsters
Buried beneath the barren land of our ill leaders.
I remember how my knees were bended for your common entrance,
And how my assets were sold for your SSCE...
I remember all my plights and how it feels.

Now I sit waiting to welcome you home barrister Àdunní,
To be queenly dressed as Iya lawyer.
But my expectations were short lived at your letter.

Your fault I count it all not to be,
But the craziness in this part of the world...
I see daily how youths go on sex romp
With the winner painted in glamorous colours of rices.
I see how everyone aspires to be musicians
For they are richer than our nation itself.
Àdunní don't be surprised I know how your generations rolls.
I know how first class success often times last,
And how Education no longer counts;
How the street is filled up with jobless youths
Whose soles are bruised in search for one.


But ómó mí,
This I want you to know;
Education will be your gain, this I assure you.
For a sabre of change to your generation you will be...
Keep up with your study àdunní,
For one day your hustle will pay,
And my dreams you will fulfill.

Wearing your wig and regalia alone
Crowns me with a million diamonds..
Worry not about the craze patronizing your generation ,
Just chase your dream and make me proud,
Then watch how your praying mother makes you count 8 figures...
For our creator will pave your way...

I thought it all through àdunní,
Please keep making me proud.

©I"m heywhy..
©2018.

GLOSSARY

• Orekelewa - Yoruba Name For A Young Damsel.
• Ã€dunní - Yoruba Eulogy for a female.
• Ã³mó mí - My Child.
• Iya - Mother.

No comments

Today's Visitors.